The happy mix of eggplant, peppers and onions can be found throughout the Mediterranean. This salad is meant to be enjoyed at room temperature so feel free to make it ahead of time and let it sit to meld all the flavors.
– 2 lbs eggplant, sliced into 3/4-inch rounds (eggplants are $1.97/lb)
– 2 medium onions, sliced into 3/4-inch rounds (2 lbs bags for $1.69)
– 2 ripe bell peppers, halved and seeded (orange, yellow and red peppers are $2.47/lb)
– Extra-virgin olive oil
– 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
– Salt and pepper
Prepare a bed of hot coals in a charcoal grill, or heat a stovetop grill to medium-high. Arrange eggplants, onions and peppers on a baking sheet. Paint vegetables lightly on both sides with olive oil.
Working in batches, grill all vegetables on both sides until softened and lightly charred, about 5 to 6 minutes per side. When all vegetables are cooked, chop them into rough chunks and place in a mixing bowl. Drizzle with 3 tablespoons olive oil and the vinegar. Season well with salt and pepper and toss to coat. Add capers and toss again.
Transfer mixture to a serving dish and sprinkle with oregano and crushed red pepper. Serve at room temperature.
For more flavor add the following, or add your favorite flavor enhancers:
– 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed and roughly chopped
– Pinch of dried oregano
– Pinch of crushed red pepper