This is a roasted broccoli soup with green pepper, onion, garlic and spices. Something to keep you warm and to support your immune system!
- 1 large head broccoli, roughly chopped
- 3 large shallots or 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 1 large bell pepper, roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (or to taste)
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- pinch smoked paprika
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon whole milk or heavy cream (optional)
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil (if you like) and spread out the chopped broccoli, shallots and bell pepper, along with the peeled garlic. Drizzle with 3 tablespoons of olive oil, and sprinkle with salt, crushed red pepper, black pepper, cumin and paprika. Roast in your oven for 25-30 minutes, until slightly charred.
Place the roasted vegetables in a food processor, working in batches if needed, and puree until smooth, adding about a cup of broth if needed. Place the soup in a large pot, add an additional 3 cups of broth and heat over medium-high heat. Taste, adjust seasonings as needed, and stir in a tablespoon or two of milk or cream, if desired. Serve warm.